Thursday, June 24, 2010

Why I Love My Job

Here are just a few reasons why I feel like I have the best job in the world!
  • Zumba: per request, we started a new exercise class. It's called "Zumba" and it's an aerobics class based on latin dancing. I feel a little out of place teaching latina women salsa steps, but they love it and we have a blast! AND I've NEVER seen them sweat so much in exercise. I think we have ourselves a keeper.
  • Yoga at Maria's: last weekend, I met up with Maria (Adult English student, and one of the women training to be a fitness instructor) to go to her house to teach a private exercise class. Her sister has physical disabilities, so she can benefit a lot from yoga classes, but doesn't feel comfortable attending classes at the Centro. Maria wants to have Sunday morning Yoga with her mom, sisters, aunts, and neices, and I came the first week to start things off. Maria has been through training, so she knows modifications and moves and is excited to offer this class to her female family members.

  • Dinner with Friends: one of the perks to living in a country where people vacation is meeting up with visitors. The Tysons and Cynthia Knust (family friends from church) came into town, and we met up for dinner. It was so nice to chat and share a meal with friends.

  • Last Alinambi Class: yes, these kids may drive me insane, but I love them. It's sad to see the school year wrap up and the program end, but the kids have learned so much and are enthusiastic to share about the recipes they've made with their families (Krysta and I made a recipe book for the kids to take home with all the recipes we made in class). I hope this program grows, improves, and continues to be successful in the future.

  • Women's Exercise Attendance: 12 people!! We've had an average of 12 women in each evening class. We've also had as many as 8 people in a morning class. Not too long ago we were begging for a class size of more than 2 or 3. This program has grown and is thriving.

  • Day with Maritza: Maritza used to come to exercise (now has to work in the evenings) and is the daughter in my homestay family who is my age. I stopped by the house the other day to catch up, and I ended up spending 4 hours chatting, talking about work and marriage, watching the World Cup, eating, and looking at pictures. I love her, and I love this family. I feel at home in their house, and I am so happy to have made such great friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment